- No Run-of-the-Mill Spiritual Guru (Michele Lee - American Journalist - Interviews Anand Krishna)
Born in Solo, Central Java, on the 1st of September 1956, Anand had his early education in Lucknow, North India, where he met his first spiritual mentor, Sheikh Baba. A simple ice vendor, the saint was not known beyond the area he lived in, but played major role in the “making” of Anand Krishna who was already familiar with Sufi poetry and teachings of Shah Abdul Latief of Sindh, through his father, Tolaram.
Working while studying, Anand Krishna earned his Master’s degree from a reputed university and was at the top of his career as Director and Shareholder of a Garment Factory in Indonesia, when he fell ill. Medical diagnosis showed Leukemia in critical stage. Thus, in 1991, at 35, Anand faced certain death.
After months of suffering, mysterious meeting with a Tibetan Lama in the Himalayas, and miraculous recovery from his illness, Anand decided to devote his life to sharing his joy, peace, love and healing.
In the last 17 years, Anand has spoken to millions through television shows, radio talks, inhouse trainings, books, newspaper interviews and articles, as well as daily meetings and workshops held at Anand Ashram (affiliated with United Nations), One Earth Retreat Center, Anand Krishna Center and Graha Indonesia, the four centers of meditation established by him in the Indonesian Capital of Jakarta, the suburban city of Bogor, the palatial ancient city of Yogyakarta, and the beautiful island of Bali.
He has also inspired several popular movements, and Centers for Self Development, among others:
- The National Integration Movement, with almost 30 branches all over Indonesia and overseas representation, including one in the Middle East.
- Forum Kebangkitan Jiwa (Forum for Revival of Human Spirit) – which has given free Self Development Programs to more than 25,000 teachers within last 4 years.
- AK Global Co-Operation, a national co-operative society with branches in several cities.
- Secret Garden of The Mother Divine, Dedicated to Healing Mother Earth and All Her Children, located in Kuta (Bali)
- AK Education Foundation, First Interfaith School in Bali, for which land has been acquired (about 2,500 sq meters in the prime area of Kuta)
Anand has appeared on all major National Medias, several Regional Medias – both Print and Electronic. He has a weekly column in one of the Major Print Medias, and a monthly TV as well as Radio Shows - both in Bali Island. He also writes regularly for several other medias nationwide.
In Jakarta, he has just completed a 13-episode serial on “Q” and “Swara” TV Channels, entitled “Building Indonesia Anew with Anand Krishna”. Currently, the next season of the show is already on air, which is titled “Building The World Anew with Anand Krishna”.
Among other prominent members of Indonesian Society, those who have so far appeared on these shows are the 4th President of Indonesia, HE Abdurrachman Wahid; Special Police Commissioner in charge of Narcotics Bureau, Mr. Mangku Pastika of Bali Bombing Case Fame; Sultan of Yogyakarta; HE Ambassador of Australia for Indonesia; Several MPs, Artists, etcetera.
However, his most outstanding contribution and legacy are his 120 over books published within last 10 years with more than a million copies sold all over Indonesia.
One of his recent books, in fact one of the seven titles in English, “Voice of Indonesia” was released in California and discussed on the Campus Radio of University of California at Santa Barbara.